DailyDeals

Marquee

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"Available" vs "Appear Offline"

Instant messaging is allowed on our office network. Agreed ours is one of the more liberal offices around (they have only just resorted to limiting one`s net connection, and that too not on the manager's network) ergo, Orkut, Gmail, Google Talk, MSN, Yahoo, Skype ... you name it, we can run it. No proxies, no web messengers, no trickery required.

Such easy access makes you wonder, isn't it great for the people you work with to have you accessible realtime, and yet with the option of shutting them out... conditional privacy.

So far as I can say, work is so much easier when people are in touch constantly... my gtalk is like a hotline to me. AND I can shut it off..AND  I can choose to ignore it...AND it is unobtrusive...(unlike my cell phone) All you need is the discipline to stay away from those frivolous chat sessions all the time (personally, I think a little bit of it here and there makes for a decent break)

To read more on it... see the WSJ's article on IM @ the workplace.

cheers.



--
"A career is a wonderful thing, but you can't snuggle up to it on a cold night."

No comments: